If you are already one of our FunkFit members you know all about the Polar GX heart rate system and how it allows us to maximize your workouts. Your heart rate is actually a pretty big deal! It is a great indicator of overall wellness. Our heart rate monitoring system is one of the most effective elements of any fitness program.
By monitoring our heart rate and aiming to stay within our target ranges, we get the most out of our workout session. To do this efficiently, you need to make sure you are in the target heart rate zone. The zone is typically 50-75% of your max heart rate. Weight loss zone is typically 65-75% of your max heart rate. Max heart rate is easily estimated by:
Men: 220 – your age
Women: 226 – your age
According to the National Institute of Health, the average adults resting heart rate falls between 60 and 100 beats per minute. To see how you are progressing over time……it is a good idea to find your resting heart rate. Measure and track your resting heart rate (before any physical activity) on a weekly basis. As you become more fit, your resting heart rate will get lower.
A higher resting heart rate, in adulthood, means a higher risk of diabetes. By wearing a heart rate monitor during your workout, you get immediate, continuous, and accurate feedback. A simple strap goes around your chest and a monitor on the wall or wrist band shows what zone you are in and your % of max heart rate.
Each zone has huge benefits. We need a variety of workouts to get the most out of our workout program. Similar to how we need a variety of nutrients in our diet to maximize our health.
RECOVERY ENERGY ZONE: (50-65% of MHR)
* Gives your body a chance to heal, prevents burnout, and reduces the risk of injury.
ENDURANCE ENERGY ZONE: (65-75% of MHR)
* Builds your aerobic base and trains your body to burn fat by maintaining a steady heart rate over an extended period of time.
STRENGTH ENERGY ZONE (75-85% of MHR)
* Improves cardiovascular strength with increased intensity.
INTERVAL ENERGY ZONE (65-92% of MHR)
* Boosts metabolism and calorie burn by incorporating bursts of speed and power with periods of recovery.
RACE DAY ENERGY ZONE (80-92% of MHR)
* This energy zone is the ultimate challenge of all-out-effort and an unbeatable way to test your fitness and measure your progress.
IF WEIGHT-LOSS IS YOUR GOAL, HEART-RATE TRAINING AND A NUTRITIOUS DIET ARE YOUR BEST BET!!!! IT GOES MUCH DEEPER THAN COUNTING CALORIES!
No one ever drowned in sweat! So keep sweating.
Coach Twyla. 🙂