FAT GETS A BAD RAP, but adding certain fats to your diet may be the key to slimming down.
- Fats from whole, natural foods offer powerful health benefits.
- Fat is not something to avoid! It is essential for normal growth and development.
- Dietary fat also provides energy, protects our organs, maintains cell membranes and helps the body absorb and process nutrients.
- Best of all, it helps the body burn fat!
Not all fats are created equal and my body runs best on high protein, high healthy fat and low healthy carbs. I truly believe getting back to basics is the key. Eat healthy foods in their natural state as often as possible!
Now I am assuming you have your eating habits under control and aren’t indulging in cookies, cake and pasta on a regular basis. Most of the fat that you eat should come from unsaturated sources, both monounsaturated and polyunsaturated. These good-for-you foods (fish, seeds, nuts, leafy veggies, olive oil, and avocados) contain tons of nutrients. Besides removing LDL cholesterol from arteries and promoting a healthier heart, unsaturated fat can help you burn fat, big time, without cutting calories.
I did the fat free diets back in the 90’s. It was a big time lesson! My hair got brittle and thin (it would not grow), my nails started peeling and cracking, my skin got dry, my arms broke out in a rash that looked similar to goose bumps, my teeth hurt and became loose, my fingers would crack in the North Dakota winters, my skin itched constantly and I had absolutely no energy!
This is when I became aware of how important diet can be and how eating natural foods is better. I completely banned all nutrasweet, processed foods and ingredients that I couldn’t pronounce. I went to drinking water, coffee, and whole milk. The more unprocessed, the better.
Other benefits of fat include:
- Omega-3 fatty acids can boost serotonin levels in the brain which helps improve mood, increase motivation, and keep you from pigging out!
- It is proven that those who consume moderate amounts of fat are more likely to stick to an eating plan because they are more satisfied. The result? More weight loss!
- Eating good fats along with an effective exercise program can increase muscle. We all know increasing muscle mass is vital to increasing metabolism and burning more calories.
- Fat also helps our bodies absorb many nutrients including vitamins.
Now, there is not a perfect diet for every single person, however, there are a pile of facts, that keep pointing in the high healthy fat direction.
Keep moving, keep exercising and don’t be afraid of healthy fats.
Have a wonderful day!